Easy Apple Galette
One of my favorite things to make during apple season is an Apple Galette. They’re basically open-faced apple pies that show off the start of the show: apples. They’re so easy to bring together and a hit at dinner parties. I love mine with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. Check out the video below:
Easy Apple Galette
- 1 circle refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of the package as there are 2 to a box)
- 2 large apples of your choice (a tart apple like Granny Smith is my favorite, but Golden Delicious, Pippin, Jonagold, etc etc work well also), peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- optional ½ tsp cinnamon or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp cream or half and half
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar (also called Turbinado, Demerara or Sugar in the Raw)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment (for easier cleanup in case a little of the filling leaks out of the crust) or sprayed with non-stick spray, carefully unroll the pie crust into a full circle. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Slice the peeled, cored apples in half, then turn each half so the flat-side is facing down and slice evenly into thin 1/8 inch slices.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the apple slices with the granulated and brown sugars, flour, salt, lemon juice and (optional) cinnamon until the apple slices are evenly coated in the sugar mixture.
- Spoon all of the apple filling into the middle of the pie crust, leaving about 2 inches of space around the edge of the circle.
- Carefully fold the edges of the crust over (it will cover 2-3 inches of the apple filling). You’ll have some overlap of the crust as you fold, so just crimp it to together- you’re going for a rustic look anyway, so the most important thing is to not tear a hole in the crust where the filling could leak out.
- Brush the outside of the crust with the cream, then sprinkle the coarse sugar over the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apple slices are tender.
- Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!