Declare Freedom From Frosting With This Red, White and Blue Berry Cornmeal Cake
Light, sun-filled days call for light, natural desserts, don’t you think? Like this cornmeal confection that gets its sweet taste from blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, and is topped only with some optional whipped cream? If you agree, you’re going to love this latest recipe from Everyday Food for Martha Stewart. Watch how easy it is to make!
– 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
– 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
– 3 large eggs
– 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– 18 ounces mixed fresh berries, plus more for serving
– Whipped cream, for serving
Be sure to watch the video to see how easily all these ingredients come together, then head on over to Martha Stewart’s website for a printable recipe. Do you agree that this cake is the perfect summer treat? Will you serve it with whipped cream, or go completely without toppings?