Cream Cheese Frosting
Whether you’re making a cake, cookies, breakfast treats or any other type of pastry, there’s one ingredient in particular you need to take it to the next delicious level: Cream Cheese Frosting! So why do so many people forget it or resort to inferior store-bought brands? No longer! Here’s our recipe for making a simple and lovely Cream Cheese Frosting at home.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
See how easy making this Cream Cheese Frosting is? It’s definitely one of those classic recipes every home baker should know how to make, and yet it always seems like it takes a backseat to learning how to make a buttercream or a fondant. We’ve been using and trying various versions through the years, and this version is, finally, the most perfect iteration yet. It looks and tastes gorgeous, and we can’t wait to use it on even more delicious treats.
Now, of course we wouldn’t leave you hanging with just a video guide! Keep reading for our full recipe and step-by-step instructions below, so you can whip this one up at home whenever you need it. Your homemade desserts are about to get so much better.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 – 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 cups (2 pounds) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese.TipHero
- Slowly add the powdered sugar to the butter-cream mixture and beat until well-incorporated.TipHero
- Add the vanilla extract, and continue to beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.TipHero
- Store the cream cheese frosting in the refrigerator until ready to use. Frosted cakes and cupcakes should be refrigerated as well, until ready to serve.
Sweet and simple, creamy and dreamy! Whatever kind of desserts you love, there’s sure to be at least one that would benefit from this classic topping. The fact that you can whip it up in under ten minutes with just four ingredients for that classic homemade flavor and flair? Well, that’s the icing on the cake— in every sense of the phrase!
How does this version of the classic cream cheese frosting compare to your usual one? Is there anything you’d change or any adjustments you’d recommend? What is your favorite dessert to top with cream cheese frosting? What other baking and cooking basics would you like us to tackle next? Tell us what you think, what you need, and if you give this recipe a try in the comments, and as always, let us know how this frosting turns out for you when you try it!