Caramel and apples go together like peanut butter and jelly. Whether a fall treat or picked up at a state fair caramel apples just taste like a small celebration. But sitting down to a full caramel apple is a commitment unless you have someone to share with, and you better be pretty close to said person, it’s not an easy treat to share, or eat actually. That’s just one reason why these apple cupcakes with caramel frosting are so great. Small, sweet, and packed with more flavor than you’d expect they’re the perfect version of an American classic, and they’re easier than they look. Store bought caramel candies make this frosting foolproof and ready in no time! If you are watching your fat or sugar levels these are just as delicious without the caramel topping and I like to enjoy the plain ones in the morning in place of a traditional muffin.this recipe.
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large or 2 small apples, chopped into small pieces
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cup chewy caramel candies
2 teaspoons heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. I used reusable silicone ones.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and chopped apples.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, vanilla extract, sugars, and applesauce. Stir until completely combined.
- Mix the sugars into the flour and apple mixture. Stir until just combined. Fill the muffin tin right to the top. Bake for about 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before making the caramel topping.
- In a microwave save container combine the caramel candies and cream and microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until completely melted. Dip the cupcakes into the caramel to ensure a perfect coating. Allow to cool before serving.