Best Mother’s Day Brunch: Bacon Cornmeal Waffles
The best Mother’s Days start special with breakfast in bed. You can keep making the same thing you have every year since you were a kid, but now that you’re older and wiser, why not treat the special moms in your life with these Bacon Cornmeal Waffles? Gemma Stafford shows us how with a recipe that’s easy to adapt to vegetarian, corn-free or pancake versions. Take a look!
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal (if you don’t have or want to use cornmeal, use all white flour)
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon Salt
– 2 1/2 cups milk
– 2 eggs
– 5 tablespoons butter, melted, room temperature
– 1/2 cup sweet corn
– 1 cup bacon, chopped
– 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 cup chopped scallions
- Mix together the milk and eggs in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix gently, along with the bacon, scallions, cheese and sweet corn until just combined. Make sure not to overmix so that your waffles stay light and soft.
- Incorporate the room temperature melted butter. Again, do not overmix.
- Cook in a waffle iron for roughly 3 minutes.
You can serve with more bacon, scallions, or even scramble eggs on top! Wrap any leftovers in foil and reheat in the oven the next day. I love how indulgent and adaptable this recipe is without being super-difficult. Will you give a try? Do you think your mom would enjoy this on Mother’s Day?