Working towards achieving your weight loss goals can be beyond frustrating. But if you take it one step at a time, it can seem less daunting and more possible. Check out some great tricks to incorporate into your daily weight loss regime courtesy of Reader’s Digest:
- Keep a Food Journal: if you write down what you eat each day in a food diary, you are likely going to eat less. Studies have actually shown that people who keep food diaries eat about 15% less than those who don’t.
- Wash Something Thoroughly Once a Week: you can chose to wash the floors, bathroom tile or your car. But either way, you’ll burn 4 calories for every minute spent cleaning. So use this method to lose 120 calories a week and get some deep cleaning done all at once.
Wait Until Your Stomach Rumbles: we don’t always eat because we’re hungry. Often times, people eat out of boredom, nervousness, habit or frustration. Here’s what Reader’s Digest says:
If you’re hankering for a specific food, it’s probably a craving, not hunger. If you’d eat anything you could get your hands on, chances are you’re truly hungry. Find ways other than eating to express love, tame stress, and relieve boredom.
- Eat in Front of a Mirror: put a mirror in your kitchen. Psychologically, this will help you make better food choices.
- Put Your Fork Down Between Every Bite: it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to communicate to your stomach that you’re full. So eat more slowly in order to get full by eating less. You can do this by putting your fork down between bites, drinking water between each bite, and taking the time to tell stories with your dining partner(s) while you dine.
Get a Pedometer:
On average, sedentary people take only 2,000 to 3,000 steps a day. Adding 2,000 steps will help you maintain your current weight and stop gaining weight; adding more than that will help you lose weight.
- Eat More Water-Rich Foods: when you eat water-rich foods, like zucchini, tomatoes, and cucumbers, you reduce your overall calorie consumption. Water-rich meals include soups and salads.
- Get Most of Your Calories Before Noon: the more you eat in the morning, the less you’ll eat in the evening; and you have many more opportunities to burn off early-day calories than you do the evening ones.
- Snack on a Small Handful of Nuts: snacking on a handful of nuts once or twice a day can help keep hunger at bay.
Check out some more of our weight loss tips:
- 5 Weight-Loss Mistakes That Many Healthy Women Are Making
- 5 Ways to Eat Well & Lose Weight on the Cheap
- How to Lose Weight and Save Money
And find more tricks and tips over at Reader’s Digest.
You can also check out some more insightful tips over at Mealime.