22 Frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, you may be a bit worried about money. Whether you’re trying to make plans that won’t break your budget, come up with a frugal gift idea, or trying to prevent yourself from spending tons of money on chocolates and sweets for drowning your single sorrows, I’ve come up with some frugal ideas and gathered some other great ideas for you from across the web. So don’t fret; you don’t have to break the bank on February 14th to make the day memorable (or bearable).
What to Do
- Transform Your Home Into a Spa: why spend tons of money on a spa day for you and your sweetie? Transform your own home into a spa for a romantic and relaxing day or night in.
- Cook a Gourmet Dinner Together: bring the fine dining atmosphere into your own home with a little creativity. You can also try some of these sweet recipe ideas and/or some of these romantic dinner recipes.
- Go Somewhere Nice for Dessert or Coffee: want to head out for a bit but not spend a lot of money? Try going out for some dessert, coffee or tea at a favorite coffee shop.
- Go For a Walk: since it’s pretty cold in most parts of the country, bundle up and head out for a stroll with a couple of thermoses full of hot cocoa. Explore a nearby park or somewhere else with some nice scenery. (Those who have been effected by ridiculous amounts of snow like I have – this would be a good time to appreciate the beauty of snow on the ground and in the trees. Let’s just hope it doesn’t snow again on February 14th!)
- Cuddle Up with a Movie: pick a romantic movie (comedy or drama) that you can both appreciate and snuggle.
- Free Entertainment: check out your community calendar to see if there are any free concerts or events on Valentine’s Day.
Still unsure of what to do? Check out some more free date night ideas from Tip Hero Joyce Gerhardt!
What to Give
- Make a Personalized Coupon Book: customize your own coupon book with coupons for things like free back rubs and breakfast in bed.
- Make Gift Giving a Challenge: make gift giving a game this year by putting a limit on the amount you spend on your sweetheart. What can you get for only $10? $5? Putting a monetary limit on gifts is sure to spark some creativity.
- Write a Love Letter: whether it’s for your sweetheart, a friend or your child, the recipient is bound to appreciate a handwritten love letter. How rare are those these days! Leave it somewhere where they are bound to find it, i.e. a lunch box or a clothing drawer.
- Make a Mix CD: the mix tape idea never goes out of fashion. Compile a list of songs that remind you of your Valentine.
- Make a Personalized Craft: try your hand at any of these 21 Valentine’s Day sewing projects or these paper crafts for kids.
Single for Valentine’s Day?
Why should couples have all the fun on Valentine’s Day? We singles should be able to treat ourselves too, right? The key is to not use spending as a way to make ourselves feel better. Here are some ideas to help you avoid blowing your paycheck on Valentine’s Day, but also avoid curling up and hiding in bed at 6pm (unless that sounds exciting to you!):
- Invite single friends over for a potluck dinner and game night.
- Get a good book out of the library and enjoy with a glass of wine (or cup of tea) in a nice hot bath.
- Bake yourself that amazing dessert recipe you’ve been dying to try. Just try not to eat all of it in one sitting!
- Get your blood pumping with some free workout videos.
- Get in the zone with some free yoga practice.
- Sit down and take the time to write out a list of things you are grateful for in your life. This list is sure to put a smile on your face, and you can refer to it anytime you’re feeling down.
- Volunteer your time and lend a hand at an organization, like a soup kitchen. Show some love to those who are truly in need of it.
- Try your hand at some homemade beauty treatments, like homemade facial treatments. Easily pamper yourself on the cheap!
- Make a gift for a fellow single friend to brighten their day.
- Have a sappy movie (or an anti-love movie) marathon with some single friends.
- Pretend the day is like any other day. Just stay away from the TV!
What are your best frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas? Let us know in the comments!