2 Killer Side Dishes for Your 4th of July Cookout
So you’re planning a cook-out and you think you’ve got everything set— you’ve got the beers, you’ve got the hamburgers and hot dogs, you’ve got the special veggie burgers for the vegetarians. Then it hits you— sides!
Much as we may want to sometimes, we can’t live on grilled meats alone. A real festive barbecue has to have some special sides, but what can you pull together at this late hour? Well, how about baked beans and coleslaw?! And we’re not just talking any old versions. We’re talking some Southern classics everybody is sure to love, and The Today Show is showing us how.
Take a look and add them to your menu!
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, reserving bacon grease
- 1 onion, chopped/diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped/diced
- 4 – 15.5-ounce cans baked beans
- ¼ cup cola
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 to 6 dashes hot sauce
- ½ cup smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 slices bacon, raw
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 tomato, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
Classic, delicious, and perfect for a cookout! If you want the full, printable recipes, click the links above or visit the Today website here and here. Tell us if you give them a try! Do you top your baked beans with bacon? What’s your family’s classic coleslaw recipe?