14 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Summer
That slow cooker in your kitchen is great for making comfort foods easily in the winter, but it can also make a mean summery dish or two. Take a look at some great summer staples that you can make simply by using your slow cooker:
These summertime staples can put you in the mood for a day at the beach or the ballpark. But you don’t need to go to either of those places to enjoy a tasty chili dog. All you’ll need are 7 ingredients and 5 minutes to prepare them.
- 6 fully cooked hot dogs
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of ready-to-eat chili
- 6 hotdog buns, split
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place hot dogs, onions and garlic into your slow cooker, then top with the chili Cook this on low for 4-6 hours until hot dogs are tender.
- Butter hot dog buns and toast them.
- Put hot dogs in buns and top them with chili mixture and shredded cheese.
Pulled Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
These are staples at picnic or backyard barbecues, especially in the south. This recipes for one of summer’s favorite sandwiches couldn’t be easier – and it’s made to serve 12 hungry people.
- 1 can of beef broth
- 3 pounds of boneless pork ribs
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce
- Pour all of the beef broth into the slow cooker, then add the boneless ribs. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until meat is tender enough to shred.
- Take meat out and shred it.
- Return shredded meat to slow cooker and add the barbecue sauce. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Got colorful bell peppers growing in your garden? Here’s a way to use them that looks impressive and tastes delicious.
- 1 pound of Italian turkey sausage (removed from casing and crumbled)
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 8 ounces of mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 bell peppers, tops removed, hollowed out
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix together sausage, rice, mozzarella and basil in a medium bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers until they are about 3/4 full. Then place peppers in slow cooker.
- Pour tomatoes over the peppers and pour broth around sides of peppers.
- Cook for 5-6 hours on low, or until rice is tender and turkey is completely cooked.
- Sprinkle the peppers with cheese and serve.
Find 11 more delectable recipes over at Money Crashers’ 14 Easy Summer Slow Cooker Recipes.