What do you look forward to most when Christmas rolls around? I’m guessing yummy treats have a spot somewhere in the top ten of your list! Whether you’re looking to bake up a storm for Christmas, create some homemade candies to give as gifts or simply bring a little Christmas spirit into your kitchen, we’ve got you covered in this festive roundup. Let’s take a look at some great frugal recipes that fit in with the theme of “sugar and spice and everything nice!”
Sugar… Candy Canes and Peppermint
- Peppermint Bark: you can’t go wrong with this Christmas classic that involves only 2 or 3 ingredients. The recipe is simple enough but here’s a video that shows you how to do it:
- Candy Cane Truffles: these are the perfect, decadent candies for Christmas. You’ll just need 6 ingredients, and once made, the candies keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Peppermint Brownies: these are inspired by those yummy peppermint brownies that Starbucks sells. Bake brownies with a bit of peppermint extract and then top with a homemade peppermint frosting.
- Peppermint Whoopie Pies: this recipe combines the wonderful flavors of chocolate and peppermint beautifully. You could make these cute whoopie pies to leave out for Santa – but you’ll probably devour them before Santa has a chance.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: what’s Christmas without a little cocoa? Use peppermint extract to make a tasty hot chocolate that you can sip on with breakfast or dessert.
…and Spice… Gingerbread
- Basic Gingerbread Cookies: here’s a great recipe that tells you how to make this classic Christmas cookie. Just make sure you chill the dough for 3 hours (and up to two days) before you get started. The recipe also includes an easy homemade icing recipe that you can use to give your cookies some character.
- Microwave Gingerbread Playdough: mix some simple ingredients together and microwave for 2 minutes. After it cools, it’s time to play! Let your kids create shapes with this festive, yummy-smelling playdough.
- Quick Gingerbread Loaf:
- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Gingerbread Cookies: have kids with a lengthy list of allergies? These cookies are just what the doctor ordered for Christmas time.
- Gingerbread Popcorn: here’s a fun and unexpected treat that’s perfect for cuddling up by a fire/under a blanket and watching a Christmas movie or two.
…and Everything Nice! Other Festive Treats
- Cranberry Bliss Bars: here’s another recipe inspired by Starbucks. Make the bars, frosting and a yummy drizzling icing, combine, cut into triangles and enjoy!
- Eggnog Snickerdoodles: this easy recipe combines two Christmas favorites into one delicious batch of cookies.
- Marshmallow Snowmen: these tasty treats are especially fun to make with kids. Give each marshmallow snowman its own personality with chow mein noodles, tic-tacs or M&Ms and other assorted candies.
What are some of your favorite Christmas treats? Have any sweet traditions you keep up with from year to year? Tell us about them in the comments section below. Thanks for being a Tip Hero!?