10 Cheap and Simple DIY Halloween Costumes (for Adults and Kids)
Halloween is only a couple of weeks away. Do you have costume ideas for you and/or your kids? Waiting until the last minute will surely result in spending unnecessary money or having a super-lame costume. Here are some creative ideas from Coupon Sherpa that are sure to impress without you having to spend much money, if any at all:
- The Hunger Games’ Katniss: all you really need to achieve this look is a basic tee with khaki/brown pants tucked into some boots. Put your hair into a single braid and wear a black-hooded coat or brown leather jacket. If you can get a cheap bow-and-arrow set, the look will be complete.
- A Nerd: put on some high-water pants, a short-sleeved dress shirt buttoned up to the top with pens in the pocket, and some cheap glasses without frames.
- Backwards Man: simply put your clothes on backwards and give yourself some “back.”
The hottest costume this year is the late, great musician. You can choose from any of several Michael Jackson permutations, but the easiest costume combines high-water black pants, a billowing white shirt and white t-shirt, white socks, black loafers, a white glove (sequins optional) and black loafers. Adults have the option of grabbing their crotches and spinning at every opportunity.
- Coach: feel comfortable all night while supporting your local team! Use your favorite team’s paraphernalia and hang a whistle around your neck.
- Lamp: wear an all black ensemble, then wear an old lampshade on your head (with slots cut out so that you can see where you’re going.
- Work of Art: hang a large picture frame around your neck. You could take this a step further by actually dressing like a famous work of art, like the Mona Lisa.
- Tourist: if you’ve got a Hawaiian shirt in your closet, wear that with some Bermuda shorts, sandals with socks, and a camera slung around your neck.
- Grandma: go the traditional granny route by turning an old afghan into a shawl, painting lines on your face with eyeliner and powdering your hair with some baby powder.
- Pile of Laundry: cut the bottom off an old laundry basket and fill with (or pin) clothes.
Coupon Sherpa has over 55 ideas over at their roundup. Be sure to check it out!