Of all the side dishes out there, we just might love twice-baked potatoes the most. After all, who can resist that mix of potato, cheese, sour cream, spices, and often, bacon? The only problem with them that we can see is that they don’t travel well – you can forget taking them to a potluck – and they’re really tricky – some might say impossible – to make-ahead or reheat. Luckily, we’ve found a DELICIOUS solution: twice-baked potato CASSEROLE! It combines everything we love about the side into one easily-transportable, adaptable dish. Check it out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
TWICE-BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
Serves 6 to 8
–4 large baking potatoes (about 2 ½ pounds)
–1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
–¼ teaspoon pepper
–4 tablespoons butter, melted
–1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
–½ cup milk, warmed
–½ cup sour cream
–6 green onions, finely chopped and divided
–4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Line a small baking sheet with foil, and lightly grease a 9-inch-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Pierce the potato skins with a knife and place potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes, until tender. (Baking time will depend on the size of the potatoes). When finished, remove the potatoes from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Let the potatoes cool slightly, then slice them in half and scoop out the potato flesh into a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes, adding salt, pepper, butter and a ½ cup of the cheddar cheese as you do so.
- Add the milk, sour cream, half of the bacon and half of the green onions. Mix until fairly well-incorporated.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the greased 9-inch-by-9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese, and the remaining bacon and green onions.
- Bake in the oven – reduced in step 2 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) – for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
So good, so easy! Have you ever made a dish like this one before? Do you love twice-baked potatoes as much as we do? How have you turned some of your favorite sides into shareable casseroles?