Are you ready to take Belgian waffles to the next level? Everybody knows that a good Belgian waffle is just as good as – if not better than! – any other dessert, so why not make it the centerpiece of your grand sweet finale? We’re not just talking about layering it with things like chocolate, strawberries or whipped cream. Oh no. This recipe takes it much farther— by actually putting the waffles IN a cake! That’s right. Meet the Maple Belgian Waffle Cake, a triple-layer maple cake with waffles baked right inside. You HAVE to check this one out and give it a try!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
MAPLE BELGIAN WAFFLE CAKE
Makes 1 8-inch triple-layer cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
–½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
–¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
–2-¾ cups all-purpose flour
–2 cups pure maple syrup, divided
–3 large eggs
–1 tablespoon baking powder
–¼ teaspoon kosher salt
–1-¼ cups buttermilk
–1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
–3 – 7-inch prepared Belgian waffles
–½-tablespoon pat salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare the three 7-inch Belgian waffles and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in 1 cup of the maple syrup. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until blended.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Beat until fully-blended.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. Place a Belgian waffle in the center of the batter in each pan and press it slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer pans to a cooling rack.
- Place one cake layer on a plate. Cover with a ¼ cup of maple syrup. Repeat with the second layer. Top with the third cake layer and pour the remaining syrup over the top. Place the pat of butter in the center of the cake and serve.
- Need a recipe for those Belgian waffles? Check out this one from Sprinkle Bakes!
And if you’re a waffle fan, how do ice cream sandwiches made out of chocolate waffles sound?
Recipe slightly adapted from Sprinkle Bakes