Sometimes you need a little lemon in your life. There’s something about a sweet and tart combination that I just love. These simple lemon bars have a beautiful balance of sweet with that wonderful tart lemon taste. Check out the quick video below to see how they come together:
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
zest from ½ lemon
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp table salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
¾ cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp Lemon juice for glaze
1. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment or foil and spray with non-stick spray.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
3. Combine the ¼ cup powdered sugar, 1 cup flour and zest from ½ a lemon in a medium mixing bowl. Using your hands, work the softened butter into the flour mixture until it starts clumping together into a dough. Press the crust into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes until brown around the edges.
4. Mix together the granulated sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir in the beaten eggs, 2 Tbsp lemon juice and the zest from 1 lemon.
5. Pour the lemon filling over the baked crust (it’s fine if the crust is still hot) and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until edges are golden brown and the filling is set.
6. Mix together the ¾ cup powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make a glaze (I used 3 Tbsp, but you can add more or less depending on how thick you want the glaze to be). Spread the glaze evenly over the top.
7. Remove the bars from the pan (if you lined the pan with foil and sprayed the foil you should be able to easily lift the bars out of the pan. Cool completely and cut. Sprinkle with additional sifted powdered sugar if desired.