The season for hot chocolate is nearly upon us! Is there any better way to beat the chilly nights than with a mug of warm, creamy hot chocolate? There certainly isn’t a more delicious way, that’s for sure.
Instant pre-packaged hot chocolate is great to make in a pinch when the craving for a warm beverage strikes, but won’t necessarily be the best hot chocolate you’ve ever had. For the best stuff, you have to go homemade.
If you constantly crave hot chocolate made with real chocolate but don’t have the time to spend making it, try out this cool trick from America’s Test Kitchen. This hack will get you the most chocolaty homemade hot cocoa you’ve ever sipped.
The downside to homemade hot chocolate? It’s usually very time consuming. You have to heat the milk, add chocolate in increments, whisk it in, and repeat.
When you’re dying for a mug for rich, frothy cocoa, we don’t all have the patience for that lengthy process. But, on the other hand, you don’t want to settle for that wimpy little packet of hot chocolate, either.
This recipe combines the best of both worlds; a quick recipe that gives you all the homemade flavor you crave. The trick is creating something that you might call a “hot chocolate concentrate.”
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine your three ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Cover the chocolate mixture with plastic wrap. Put the chocolate in the fridge for two hours.
- Once hardened, scoop out the chocolate mixture into balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge.
- To make a cup of hot cocoa, put one chocolate ball in a mug of milk and heating in increments until the drink is warm, mixed and smooth.
The chocolate balls will keep in the fridge for up to five days and in the freezer for two months! That’s a whole lot of hot chocolate for your drinking pleasure.
When you’re ready to make a mug of cocoa, it should only take about two minutes to make a fully combined mug, and we’re sure it’ll be the smoothest, creamiest drink you’ve ever had!
What do you think of this easy and delicious recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.