Sometimes, you just need a spa day. And the cheapest way to do it is right in your own home. And you can make products like the ones you’d find at the spa out of natural ingredients you already have. Here are some ideas your skin, and your wallet, will love courtesy of Money Crashers:
- Strawberry/Kiwi Cleanser: great for all skin types, this cleanser is made by blending together a few strawberries, a peeled kiwi and a half a cucumber. This should create a thin paste that you can massage gently across your face. Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water. If the paste isn’t thick enough to stick, just add a bit of oatmeal to it.
- Cucumber Toner: take a half of an unpeeled cucumber and puree it in a blender. Strain this into a bowl and add a half an ounce of witch hazel to create a soothing toner. Put this mixture into a sterilized container and use with a few days.
- Spot Treatment: for blemishes, simply dip a cotton ball into a mixture of 1/4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 drop of tea tree essential oil. Leave on overnight to let it work its magic.
- Maple Oat Facial Scrub: make an exfoliating scrub with the help of 3 tbsp of powdered oats, 1 tbsp of honey, and 1 tbsp of milk.
Heat the milk in the microwave for around 15 seconds, add in the maple syrup and stir well so that the syrup dissolves. Add the oats and stir again. To use, massage gently onto your skin and follow with toner and moisturizer. Because the milk is fresh, keep the mixture in the fridge and use within a few days.
- Face Mask for Dry Skin: mash up half an avocado and mix with 1/4 cup of honey. Apply this mask to your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. Afterward, rinse with tepid water.
Find more recipes for green products, like lip balm and bath treats, over at Money Crashers’ Natural Skincare Products and Recipes (Go Green!)