Did you know that the juice of a single pomegranate has more disease-fighting antioxidants than red wine or green tea, and provides you with 40% of your daily Vitamin C? We’d love to drink pomegranate juice every day, but the store-bought stuff is expensive. And getting those juicy seeds out of the fruit has always seemed like a sure-fire way to give our kitchen and our clothes an unintentional red-splattered makeover — until we learned this amazing trick.
Turns out, there’s a super easy way to cut and de-seed pomegranates, and to transform those gorgeous seeds into a glass of healthy, delicious pomegranate juice — using just some simple kitchen tools. Check out our video and step-by-step instructions to see the absolute easiest way to cut and juice a pomegranate with no mess, and no juicer.
How to Cut & Juice a Pomegranate
- Large bowl
- Large spoon
- Re-sealable plastic bag
- Rolling pin
- Using a sharp knife, score the pomegranate all the way around the midsection. Use your fingers to crack open the two halves.
- Fill a large bowl with water. Holding one of the pomegranate halves over the bowl, gently stretch the pomegranate to loosen the seeds.
- Turn over the pomegranate half so that you’re holding it cut side down in the palm of your hand over the bowl. Using a spoon, whack the back of the pomegranate so that the seeds fall through your fingers into the bowl of water. Repeat with the other pomegranate half.
- Use your fingers to scoop any large pieces of pith off of the surface of the water, then strain the pomegranate seeds.
- Place the pomegranate seeds in a re-sealable plastic bag and seal the top. Place the bag on the countertop and roll the rolling pin back and forth across the pomegranate seeds to release their juice. (You can also use a drinking glass instead of a rolling pin, or press the pomegranate seeds with your fingers or the back of a large spoon.)
- Place a strainer over a juice glass. Open the top of the plastic bag and pour the juiced pomegranate seeds into the strainer. (Alternatively, you could cut a small hole into the corner of the plastic bag and strain the pomegranate seeds into the juice glass through the hole — just make sure you cut the hole small enough that the seeds can’t pass through it.)
- Discard the seeds and enjoy your glass of pomegranate juice!