Everybody loves egg rolls. The savory dish is a perfect finger-food-ready appetizer, but also filling enough to be a meal all on its own. We can’t get enough of them, but we know those stuffed-and-fried roll-ups come with a price— a health one, that is. So what’s an egg roll fan to do? We found the solution: take out the roll entirely! That’s right, like tacos and burritos before it, we’re taking all the flavors of the egg roll and making them in a bowl, eliminating the calorie-dense fried wrapper in the process. The result is a dish we can’t get enough of, and we’re betting you’ll feel the same. Check it out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 – 16-ounce bag coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Green onions, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork over medium-high heat.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrots, and stir to combine.
- Add the sauce mixture to the meat and veggies. Stir and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the cabbage has just begun to wilt but is still crunchy.
- Serve over rice, garnished with green onions if desired.
Simple, delicious, and a little more guilt-free! What do you think of this “Egg Roll In A Bowl”? Are there any other ways you can think of to make egg rolls a little healthier?
Recipe adapted from Mostly Homemade Mom