One of our absolutely favorite food things is figuring out how to make dishes we thought we’d only ever be able to eat in restaurants. Another is simplifying recipes we always thought were a little too complicated. Today’s dish does BOTH. These pork potstickers are completely homemade – no frozen ones for this recipe! – but still completely easy to make. Plus, you can make them in just a few minutes! Throw away your take-out menus and watch how you can get these dumplings in the comfort of your own home.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
EASY PORK POTSTICKERS
–¾ cup ground pork
–1 cup minced cabbage
–2 tablespoons minced ginger
–1 tablespoon minced garlic
–½ cup water, divided, plus more for sealing wrappers
–6 scallion greens, minced
–½ cup soy sauce
–48 dumpling wrappers
–¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the pork, cabbage, ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce and ¼ cup of water. Mix well.
- Lay a dumpling wrapper on a dry surface and use your fingertip to brush water along the outside edge of half the wrapper. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center – be careful not to overfill! – and fold in half. Pinch and pleat the edges together.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Place the dumplings in the skillet, laying them flat in a single layer. Cook for 2 minutes, or until bottoms have browned and most of the oil has been absorbed.
- Add a ¼ cup water to the pan and cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Uncover the dumplings. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for another minute or two, until the bottoms are dark brown and crisp and the water has evaporated. Serve with dipping sauce.
- If you like, you can make the dumplings ahead of time! Simply follow the recipe through step 2, then cover the dumplings in plastic. Refrigerate or freeze for up to two weeks.
- Make your own dipping sauce by combining ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup rice vinegar and the minced green parts of 6 scallions in a small bowl.
Recipe adapted from New York Times