One of my favorite things to make during Apple season is an Apple Galette. They’re basically open-faced apple pies that show off the start of the show: apples. They’re so easy to bring together and a hit at dinner parties. I love mine with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. Check out the video below:
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
1 circle refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of the package as there are 2 to a box)
2 large apples of your choice (a tart apple like Granny Smith is my favorite, but
Golden Delicious, Pippin, Jonagold, etc etc work well also), peeled and cored
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp table salt
optional ½ tsp cinnamon or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp cream or half and half
1 Tbsp coarse sugar (also called Turbinado, Demerara or Sugar in the Raw)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. On a baking sheet lined with parchment (for easier cleanup in case a little of the filling leaks out of the crust) or sprayed with non-stick spray, carefully unroll the pie crust into a full circle. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
3. Slice the peeled, cored apples in half, then turn each half so the flat-side is facing down and slice evenly into thin 1/8 inch slices.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the apple slices with the granulated and brown sugars, flour, salt, lemon juice and (optional) cinnamon until the apple slices are evenly coated in the sugar mixture.
5. Spoon all of the apple filling into the middle of the pie crust, leaving about 2 inches of space around the edge of the circle.
6. Carefully fold the edges of the crust over (it will cover 2-3 inches of the apple filling). You’ll have some overlap of the crust as you fold, so just crimp it to together- you’re going for a rustic look anyway, so the most important thing is to not tear a hole in the crust where the filling could leak out.
7. Brush the outside of the crust with the cream, then sprinkle the coarse sugar over the crust.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apple slices are tender.
9. Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!