Like us, you’re already a fan of banana bread, be it traditional or with an extra twist. Now it’s time to try banana CAKE! And we do mean cake. This recipe isn’t a loaf or sweet bread; it is a true dessert, as moist and delightful as you could ever hope to eat. How does it reach the perfect balance without letting the bananas take over and make it soggy? By baking it in a way that’s just a little different, and a whole lot of fun. Watch, learn, and indulge!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
–1-½ cups ripe bananas (3 to 4 bananas)
–2 teaspoons lemon juice
–3 cups all-purpose flour
–1-½ teaspoons baking powder
–¼ teaspoon kosher salt
–¾ cup soft butter
–2 cups granulated sugar
–2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
–1-½ cups buttermilk
–½ cup soft butter
–8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
–1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
–3-½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit (135 degrees Celsius). Grease and flour a 9-inch-by-13-inch metal baking pan.
- Mix and mash the bananas with lemon juice, and reserve for later.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and stir in the vanilla.
- Alternating between the two, gradually beat the flour mixture and the buttermilk into the creamed butter-egg-sugar mixture.
- Stir in the mashed bananas until just mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, place a sheet pan in the freezer.
- After baking, remove the sheet pan from the freezer and line with a towel. Remove the baked cake from the oven and place on the towel-lined frozen sheet pan. Place in the freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until completely cooled.
- While the cake cools, prepare the frosting. Cream the butter and cream cheese together. On the low setting, beat in the vanilla extract and the powdered sugar until combined. Mix on high until smooth.
- Frost the cooled cake and serve.
It truly is delightful, don’t you think? Who would have thought that baking a cake at only 275 degrees and then sticking it in the freezer would yield such a great dessert?! Have you ever made anything similar? Will you give this banana cake a try?
Recipe adapted from Happy Hooligans