Want to know how to make an asparagus lover out of even the pickiest of eaters? Coat fresh green spears with a crust of panko breadcrumbs, garlic, and plenty of Parmesan cheese, then roast them in the oven until they’re super crispy and flavorful. You’re definitely going to have a once-you-start-you-can’t-stop situation on your hands.
Seriously, this asparagus makes an appetizer or side dish that’s easily as addictive as potato chips. And when you dip them in mayonnaise or aioli? Irresistible. Don’t be surprised if you put these out at a dinner party and they’re devoured in seconds.
This recipe is as easy as putting all of the ingredients into a big bag, giving it a little shake, then baking everything in the oven until the crackling crust is golden brown. You only need five minutes of actual active prep time, so while the asparagus is baking you can get back to getting the rest of dinner ready.
Would you believe that you can get a crust this crunchy without any frying? Roasting is our favorite way to cook asparagus anyways, because the caramelization transforms bitter to savory. Plus the texture comes out crisp-tender and never limp. The part that’ll really get you hooked, though, is the panko coating — it’s cheesy with lots of roasted garlic aroma.
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Serves 2 – 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 20 – 25 Minutes
- 1½ pounds asparagus, trimmed to 4 – 5 inches
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 205°C. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- Place the trimmed asparagus in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Add remaining the ingredients, seal the bag and gently massage the ingredients evenly onto the asparagus.
- Empty the bag onto the prepared sheet pan and evenly space the asparagus on the pan so that the spears aren’t touching one another. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the panko has browned. Broil for the last few minutes of cooking until the asparagus has reached the desired crispness and the breadcrumbs have browned.
- Serve hot with mayonnaise, aioli, or your favorite dipping sauce.