There are some ingredients so guaranteed to make a dish better, using them is basically like sprinkling magical fairy dust over your food. Our favorite? Parmesan! Just look what it does for this incredible Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken. Not only is there Parmesan in the delectable, creamy, flavorful sauce, it’s also in the chicken flouring. So matter where you bite into this take on chicken piccata or what you pair it with, you get the taste you crave. And don’t worry— making it isn’t difficult at all! Just let us demonstrate, then read on for the full recipe.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- ½ cup cream
- ⅓ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice), adjusted to your tastes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (93 degrees Celsius). Line a sheet pan with foil and set aside.
- In a wide, shallow dish, combine the flour and the 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Season the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Coat the seasoned chicken in the flour-Parmesan mixture, shake off excess, and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and all of the butter until the butter has melted and the pan is hot.
- Sear the chicken for about 3 to 5 minutes, until golden-brown on each side and cooked-through.
- Transfer the chicken to the lined baking sheet and place in the preheated oven to keep warm.
- Reduce the burner heat to medium-low. Add the garlic and, if needed, a little more olive oil to the large pan, and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil for a few minutes to thicken slightly.
- Add the cream and simmer for three to five minutes to thicken the sauce further.
- Add in the ⅓ cup of Parmesan cheese, and allow the sauce to simmer for about 2 minutes, or until thickened to your liking.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Add in half of the lemon juice, and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust with more lemon juice, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and add it back into the pan.
- To serve, garnish with the chopped parsley and lemon slices, as desired. Enjoy paired with pasta and your favorite veggies.
- Yes, half-and-half is OK to substitute for the cream, although be warned that it is not preferred.
- The time it takes to sear the chicken in step 5 will depend on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
- When considering the thickness of your sauce, remember that it will also thicken as it cools.
Yum! We just can’t get enough of that creamy, cheesy sauce. It’s just the right combination of flavors, and when it’s served with that flour-and-Parmesan encrusted chicken, this classic dish becomes something so special.
So what do you think of our take on chicken piccata? Will you give it a try? Is Parmesan one of your favorite “take-it-to-the-next-level” ingredients, or are there other ones you love even more? How would you make this recipe your own? Tell us if you give it a try and how it turns out for you!
Recipe adapted from Cafe Delites