Are you ready to meet your new favorite dessert? Then let us introduce you to it: an incredible Chocolate Caramel Tart! This treat features layers of light, crispy shortbread crust, golden homemade caramel, and delectable milk chocolate. Just one slim slice of it will satisfy all your sweet tooth cravings, and it just might remind you of a popular candy bar. Check it out and give it a try tonight!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TART
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4-½ tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut small cubes
- 7 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the chilled butter and pulse again until the pieces resemble small peas.
- Add the lightly-beaten egg a little bit at a time, pulsing after each addition. After all of the egg is added, pulse until the dough clumps together.
- Press the dough into an even layer and up the sides of a 13-¾-inch-by-4-¼-inch tart pan. Roll a rolling pin across the top of the pan to remove any excess dough.
- Place the tart pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Poke the dough along the sides and bottom with a fork. Spray foil with pan spray, and use it to tightly cover the dough, shiny-side-down.
- Place the tart pan on a sheet pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Gently remove the foil, and press the dough down with a spoon if it has puffed up. Return to oven to bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until the sweetened condensed milk has melted and is mixed into the heavy cream. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, golden syrup, and water. Stirring occasionally, heat over low heat until the sugar has melted.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius).
- Remove the sugar mixture from the heat, and stir in the butter and the warm cream mixture. Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until it reaches 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 degrees Celsius).
- Pour the caramel into the cooled crust and allow to cool completely for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped chocolate and heavy cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high, in 15 second intervals, until the chocolate has melted. Stir together until completely smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the cooled caramel layer and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until fully set.
- Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Remove from tart pan, cut and serve.
- Corn syrup can sometimes be substituted for golden syrup. This recipe was tested using golden syrup and results cannot be guaranteed if corn syrup is used.
Recipe slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker