Taquitos might not be the most authentic Mexican-inspired dish out there, but with this recipe, they just might be the most tasty AND convenient! Why? Not only are these small, crispy takes on tacos stuffed with an absolutely addictive cheesy chicken filling, that filling is made in your slow cooker for a meal you can make fit into your schedule, not the other way around. PLUS, we’re baking these taquitos – not frying them – so all you have to do after filling and rolling them is pop them in the oven. Easy peasy, and totally cheesy. Let us show you how they’re made, then keep reading for the full recipe so you can make them as soon as possible!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
CHEESY CHICKEN TAQUITOS
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 9 to 10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, divided
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-½ pounds chicken breast
- 1-½ cups Mexican blend cheese
- 12 – 6-inch flour tortillas
- Place onion and garlic cloves in the bowl of a food processor, and process until well-chopped.
- Add 8 ounces of the cream cheese to the food processor. Add the oregano, cumin, cayenne powder, salt and pepper to the food processor, and blend until well-combined.
- Pour ½ of the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of a slow cooker liner. Place the chicken breasts in the middle of the sauce, and pour the remaining cream cheese mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-½ to 3 hours, or until the chicken easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Shred the chicken while it’s still in the slow cooker, and then mix it in with the sauce. Continue to cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the Mexican cheese blend and stir until mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour tortillas on a work surface. Smear ½ teaspoon of the remaining cream cheese along the top edge of each tortilla.
- Portion 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cooked chicken mixture onto each tortilla in a thin line.
- Roll the tortillas tightly toward the cream-cheese-lined edge and seal.
- Place the rolled tortillas on the prepared pan in a single layer. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tortillas start to brown and become crispy.
- Serve your chicken taquitos with salsa, sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Delicious, easy, and sure to please everybody in your family! Plus, you can, if you want, use this slow cooker chicken filling for your other meal needs— in tacos, enchiladas, maybe even burritos. The possibilities are endless and only limited by your imagination.
So what do you think? Are you or your kids a big fan of taquitos? Can you think of any ways you’d adapt or change this recipe? Tell us if you give it a try, and share how they turn out for you!
Recipe adapted from This Grandma Is Fun