As soon we ladies move out of “young adulthood” into just plain “adulthood,” ads start trying to convince us that we’re aging, and that we need anti-aging products. While we believe all ages are beautiful and admire women who wear their smile lines with pride, it can difficult not to let all of those messages get under our skin. So what to do if we don’t want to waste our money on special formulas, but we’d still like to treat our skin to something with a little anti-aging spin? We turn to Rachel Talbott, here to show us how to make a mask full of retinol and with just four ingredients— and then she’s showing us DIY masks for three other skin types, too! Watch, learn, and treat yourself to some homemade beauty.
So did you catch all of those? Here’s what you need to make each mask!
– 2 tablespoons bentonite clay
– 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
– 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- Mix bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar until well blended. It will be thick. Mix in the lavender drops.
- Apply the mask to your face, avoiding the eye area.
- Allow to dry for 10 to 20 minutes. Lean toward the shorter timeframe if you have sensitive skin.
- This mask goes dry after a few days, but when refrigerated can last up to a week if it doesn’t dry out first.
MASK FOR DRY SKIN
– ½ avocado
– ½ very ripe banana
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 2 to 3 drops essential oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Rub the avocado face mask all over your face, avoiding your eyes. Allow the mixture to sit on your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat your face clean with a damp towel.
MASK WITH RETINOL FOR AGING SKIN
– ½ cup chopped spinach leaves
– 1 tablespoon pure honey
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or almond oil)
– 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the spinach leaves in cold water.
- Blend the spinach, olive oil, lemon juice and honey together until the consistency is smooth.
- Apply to your skin and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water, and splash with cold water for a final rinse to close your pores.
- Leftover mask can be stored in the fridge for 3 days. Discard when it smells rancid.
MASK FOR OILY AND COMBINATION SKIN
– ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1 tablespoon honey
– ¼ cup plain yogurt
– 2 tablespoons flour, to make the mask thick/pasty
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Leave the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes, and rinse off with warm water.
- Turmeric is a bright yellow spice and can be staining. If you have very fair skin, this mask may not be the best one for you to use.
- This mask is good up to three days when refrigerated.