Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to enjoy sweet, yummy treats, especially ones of the cute and festive variety! Since the day of love falls on a weekend this year, why not start celebrating as soon as you wake up with a valentine-worthy breakfast? We know just the one: these pink cinnamon rolls from Yoyomax12! She’s here today to show us how to whip up a batch from scratch and give them that special Valentine’s Day twist. Watch how, then start baking with love!
VALENTINE’S DAY CINNAMON ROLLS
Makes 12 rolls
–1/2 box of cake mix (white or yellow)
–1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons) instant dry yeast
–1 ¼ cups warm water
–½ teaspoon vanilla
–½ teaspoon salt
–2 ½ cups flour
–Pink food coloring
–1 cup sugar (for filling)
–Cinnamon (for filling)
–Frosting of your choice
–Heart sprinkles, for decorating
- Combine the cake mix, flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, yeast, vanilla and food coloring.
- Add the water mix to the flour/cake mix mixture. Stir until a dough ball forms. Knead with your hands to get a smooth elastic dough, or use a dough hook on your mixer. The dough will be sticky!
- Place the dough ball in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled. Rising should take about an hour, depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- Grease a 10-inch-by-15-inch baking dish.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough into a rough rectangle shape about ¼-inch thick.
- Sprinkle the sugar onto the dough, followed by the cinnamon.
- Starting on the long side, roll up the dough into a long log.
- Slice the log into 2-inch slices and place cut-side-down into the greased baking dish. Cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Uncover the rolls and bake for 20 minutes, until the rolls are done and light brown on top.
- Frost the rolls when they are warm for a runnier consistency or after cooling for a thicker consistency. Sprinkle with heart sprinkles, if desired.
Store the rolls at room temperature in a covered container. They’re best eaten the same day you make them, but they should last a few days. If they start to stale, you can freshen them up by popping them into the microwave for a few seconds before eating! Do you think you’ll give these pink rolls a try? What other special Valentine’s Day breakfasts do you enjoy?