Super Easy Strawberry Breakfast Rolls
This recipe was somewhat of a revelation for me. I’ve always been a huge fan of cinnamon rolls but had not considered swapping the filling out for something lighter and fruitier until I found myself with way too much strawberry jam and no idea what to do with it. After spending a weekend eating store bought fruit filled coffee cake I realized I could easily make something better. Frozen bread dough is something I have on hand at all times. It makes whipping up something delicious ridiculously easy. You can use any cinnamon roll dough recipe if you want to go the from scratch route. If using frozen dough you’ll have to place it in the fridge the evening before to thaw.
Easy Strawberry Breakfast Rolls
For the rolls:
1 loaf store bought bread dough, thawed
flour for dusting the cutting board
1 1/2 cups strawberry or any fruit jam
1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries or any other fruit
For the glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or half of one vanilla bean, scraped
2-3 tablespoons milk (start with 2 and add 3 if the glaze is too thick to drizzle)
- Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board and roll out the dough to a 14″x8″ rectangle.
- Spread the jam on all of the dough but 1/2″ from the top. Sprinkle the chopped fresh fruit on top.
- Fold the bottom inch up and over itself. Using both hands continue to roll the dough up. Cut the dough into 8 equal sized pieces.
- Spray a 9″ pie pan with non stick spray. Arrange the cut rolls into this dish and cover with cling film. Allow to rest for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- In the last half hour of the rising preheat your oven to 375°F. When the dough is doubled bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooling whisk together all of the glaze ingredients. Once the rolls are cooled drizzle the glaze over the rolls.
- Serve or store for a day well wrapped in plastic wrap.