Mozzarella sticks are one of everybody’s favorite appetizers, but we all know the battered cheeses are an indulgence requiring some extra sit-ups. What if they didn’t have to be? Simple Green Moms have found a way with this easy recipe that’s still good on the lips but much kinder to your hips.
–1 large egg
–1 tablespoon water
–4 string cheeses, halved
–8 wonton wrappers
–1/2 cup marinara sauce
–1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Working one at a time, brush each wonton wrapper with the egg wash.
- Place a string cheese in the center of each wrapper.
- Bring the bottom edge of the wonton wrap tightly over the cheese, and roll from bottom to top until the top of the sheet is reached. Be careful not to tear!
- Add the olive oil to a medium-hot skillet and cook the mozzarella sticks for about 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Eat dipped in the marinara sauce— but you already knew that step, didn’t you? How easy is this recipe? Have you ever made your own mozzarella sticks? What other cheesy recipes do you love?