Here’s the thing about making dessert in the summer. On the one hand, we want to take every opportunity we can to enjoy the season’s bounty, and make the most of those fresh-picked fruits from farmers’ markets, roadside stands, and local orchards and farms. On the other hand? They don’t call them the “lazy hazy days of summer” for nothing!
For a lot of us, we can’t quite get over the habit of taking a mental break during the months between the end of one school year and the beginning of another, even if it’s been years since we stepped into a classroom. So what does this relaxed state mean for learning new recipes? Just that we’re leaning toward creative takes on the classics, recipes that really let the ingredients shine— and toward ones that are really easy! You can’t do any better on all three criteria than with a dump cake!
This easy dessert takes a fruit filling – in this case, perfect summer peaches and blueberries – and just “dumps” cake mix on top of it for a treat that’s one part cake, one part cobbler, all parts tasty. And don’t worry— we’re not using boxed cake mix. Oh no. Every bit of this dish is homemade, and every bit is delicious. Check it out.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
PEACH BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
Serves 8 Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, sliced, plus more for pan
- All-purpose flour, for pan
- 1 pound sliced frozen peaches, partially thawed
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup peach juice or nectar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix or 1 – 16-ounce box store-bought cake mix
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Butter and flour a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange the peaches and blueberries in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar, peach juice and vanilla over the fruit. Stir just to mix.
- If using Homemade Yellow Cake Mix: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Dump over the fruit. If using store-bought cake mix: Dump the contents of the box over the fruit.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top and shake gently to evenly distribute.
- Top the whole dish with the sliced butter and chopped pecans.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on your oven, until the surface springs back to the touch, and the cake is set and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
What a great way to use summer fruits! We love this combination of peach and blueberry. What do you think of it? Do you love making dump cakes, or is this idea new to you? What other fruits would you like to try in this recipe? Give it a try and tell us how it goes and how you make it your own!