Are you a crunchy granola bar person or a chewy granola bar person? If you said, “Chewy!” this chunky, soft homemade granola bar recipe is going to be your new favorite anytime snack. They’re chock full of wholesome oats, creamy peanut butter, chocolate chips, and almonds — better than any chewy granola bars you’ll find in a box, bar none.
Our chewy peanut butter granola bars taste like the best peanut butter oatmeal cookie you’ve ever had, only with way less sugar. In fact — there’s no sugar! These are sweetened with golden honey and a touch of cinnamon, so they’ve got a yummy salty-sweet thing going on. With all of those mini chocolate chips and the soft no-bake texture, they kind of make you feel like you’re getting away with eating cookie dough, too.
This chewy bar recipe is totally flexible. Want them less dessert-y and more trail mix-y? Sub your favorite dried fruit for the chocolate chips. Peanut allergy? Use creamy almond or sunflower butter.
The only thing we’ve got to be firm on is firmly packing your granola — that step is key to making sure these won’t crumble in your bag. Tip: use the back of a measuring cup sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and give the whole pan a good press.
The best part might be that these are no-bake, so you can whip them up on a whim even while there’s already something baking in the oven. Then slice them up for a convenient make-ahead breakfast or after school snack, or for when you need a guiltless way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars
Makes 16 bars
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
- 2 cups quick oats
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup creamy nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)
- ¼ cup honey
- Use a creamy nut butter for this recipe to achieve the best results, because chunky nut butters may not hold the granola bars together as well as a creamy nut butter will.
- Line an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper (use enough so that there’s a little bit of an overlapping lip of paper) and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, chocolate chips, almonds, cinnamon and salt. Add the nut butter and honey, and stir until all of the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly. Spray the back of a measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray and use it to press the mixture tightly into the pan in an even layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the granola from the pan by lifting the edges of the parchment paper, and cut it into 10 bars. Keep the granola bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 2 weeks.