4 Things Everyone Needs to Know about Mold and Mildew


Mold and mildew can not only be a pain in the neck (and extremely gross) but they can be health hazards, too. But unless you do your research, you may not know how to handle mold in your home. With these tips, brought to us by Clean My Space, you’ll know how to identify mold from mildew and how to exterminate both fungi from your home!

What’s The Difference Between Mold and Mildew?

Mold and mildew are both fungi, which means they’re both basic microscopic organisms that can thrive in just about any moist environment. While that’s great for natural environmental processes, having mold or mildew indoors is not at all a good thing.

Mold is typically black, brown, white, or green, and has the tendency to get thick and fuzzy.

Mildew is an early stage of mold – mold that basically hasn’t evolved into full-fledged mold quite yet. Mildew is usually black, brown, yellow, or pink, occasionally it will even look orange. Mildew tends to have dusty and flat appearance.

Both mildew and more advanced mold can be found in insulation, foods, fabric, drywall, wood, wallpaper, kitchen surfaces, and basically in any other organic material you have in your home.

Why Are Mold and Mildew Dangerous?

When mold spores land and colonize on moist, organic surfaces, they’re not a good thing. Why? Because mold is a very serious allergen, which means it CAN infiltrate your bodily systems and cause serious health issues for your internal systems.

Symptoms can be as basic as a runny nose, sore throat, rash, or red eyes and as severe as brain damage, damage to the nervous system, respiratory issues, and cardiovascular issues.

Mold is no joke, people.

How Can You Get Rid of Mold?

If you have a serious mold problem, call in the professionals. They’ll have the appropriate gear and chemicals to really get rid of the ENTIRE problem, not just what meets the eye.

If you have mildew or very mild mold, you may be able to handle it yourself with some basic household solutions. Two of the best products to use are vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

For both products, put them (undiluted, so they’re at their strongest) in spray bottles. Spray the products on the mold, let it sit for ten minutes, then scrub vigorously with a scrub brush. Rinse and air dry the area. Treat the surface one final time by doing one last spray and rinse of the area with either vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.

How Can You Prevent Mold?

Now that you’ve gotten rid of the mold, you do not want it to come back! The best way to prevent mold and mildew from returning is controlling the moisture in your home.

How can you do this? Simple! It’s all in the little things, like turning on your fan when you’re taking a hot shower, using a dehumidifier when you can, and wiping down the shower after each use with a vinegar solution – or just wipeing it down with a squeegee to get rid of excess moisture.

Now that you’re armed with this knowledge, don’t let mold sit dormant in your home! Be proactive about getting rid of mold and keeping it from returning at all costs. Truthfully, your health could depend on it.

What do you think about this information on mold? Do you have any more important information you’d like to share? Share it in the comments section below.