Golden pan-fried chicken is covered in crispy bacon and lip-smackingly creamy honey mustard sauce — how irresistible do those flecks of whole grain mustard look? Plus, this easy chicken dinner only takes one pan and 30 minutes.
Then let the chicken bubble away in our sweet and tangy homemade honey mustard sauce — which has the bonus of being incredibly simple to whip up. And if you want this recipe to be paleo-friendly, just sub coconut cream or your favorite nut milk to make it dairy-free.
The mustard and garlic give the sauce an addicting edge (which you’ll already be well aware of at this point, because you’ll most likely be unable to keep from licking the spoon).
The bold flavors of this chicken dinner come together in just 30 minutes. Serve yours with sautéed veggies, roasted potatoes, or wild rice for an unforgettable meal.
Honey Mustard Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- ¼ pound bacon, chopped
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1½ Tablespoons)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup milk (may be substituted with dairy-free milk)
- ⅓ cup cream (may be substituted with dairy-free milk)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Fry the chopped bacon until it’s crispy, and transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels. Leave 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan or, if you prefer, replace the bacon fat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan with the bacon fat (or olive oil) and sear it on each side until it’s golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. (You don’t need to completely cook the chicken at this point since it will finish cooking in the honey mustard sauce.) Remove the seared chicken from the pan and transfer it to a warm plate.
- Add the whole grain mustard, minced garlic, honey, milk, and cream to the pan. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and simmer the honey mustard sauce until it thickens.
- Return the chicken to the pan, coat it with the honey mustard sauce, and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Top the finished dish with the chopped bacon and garnish it with fresh parsley.
Check out more of our favorite easy creamy chicken recipes:
- one-pan pimento basil cream chicken
- rosemary portobello chicken
- creamy lemon parmesan chicken
- creamy chicken bacon pasta
Recipe adapted from Cafe Delites.