If you’ve been eyeing the glitter polish in the store with curiosity, but ultimately pass because it looks dubious – like glitter sitting in liquid goop – this one’s for you! For those of you who have bought it with fervor, excited to put a layer of cuteness on, only to get let down that you can only brush on 10 pieces of glitter per stroke— this one’s definitely for you. And to all you moms and big sisters who have gathered bunches of eager little girls together for sleepover manicures, only for them to end up saying “I can’t see the glitter,” this one’s definitely for you. They should be able to see it. We all should. Oh glitter polish, why art thou so disappointing?!
Instead of giving up that at-home attempt to nail glitter polish right and running to a nail salon, try again with these tips from Kelli Marissa. After watching the video once, you’ll say, “Oooooooh, that’s how you do it.” Then you’ll call your friends and daughters over to your screen to watch it with you again, so that they too can collectively go “Ooooooohhhh!” Watch how it’s done, then read on to where we break it down step by step for you!
Here’s how to get the sparkly nails popping.
- Clear base coat polish
- Liquid latex barrier (optional: good if you’re prone to making messes, not good if you are allergic)
- Cosmetic sponge
- Glitter polish
- Clear top coat polish
- Apply the base coat first to all of your nails, and allow them to dry.Kelli Marissa
- The liquid latex is meant to protect the skin surrounding the nail from getting touched with streaks of polish or glitter. If you’re confident that won’t happen, you can skip this product and this step. Otherwise, apply a layer of it on the border of your nail and cuticle area. It peels off once you’re done!Kelli Marissa
- Take the cosmetic sponge, and paint the thin edge of it with the glitter polish, allowing it to absorb the excess liquid. Use the sponge to start dabbing the glitter onto the base coat of your nails. You should notice that the glitter polish is being applied evenly like a normal coat of polish. Continue to repeat this step as needed, painting the sponge, then dabbing the glitter onto the nail until it’s completely covered.Kelli Marissa
- Apply the top coat to your glittered nails to give them an extra shiny finish.
- Peel off the liquid latex and you are done!
Once you’ve tried this method a few times we’re sure you will want to buy at least a dozen more bottles of glitter polish. Have fun with it! Go tinted. Go neon. Go glow-in-the-dark. Turn those slumber party frowns around now that you know what to do! But fair warning though, this polish can be a pain to remove. When you’re ready to switch it up, wrap your nails with cotton balls that have been dunked in polish remover. The trick is to let the cotton sit for a few minutes on top of the nail before wiping it clean. What do you think of this method? Are you ready to glam it up with glitter? Tell us in the comments!