Momofuku Milk Bar has been hailed as one of the most exciting bakeries in the country. The Brooklyn-based bakery is known for its crack pie, decadent birthday cakes, and compost cookies – most of all, it’s known for putting a fun, unique spin on your everyday desserts! We’re so excited to be getting an inside look on one of the Milk Bar’s most infamous seasonal recipes: their German Chocolate Jimbo cake. This deconstructed chocolate cake has seemingly infinite layers of rich, chocolate flavor, and we’re going to show you how the Milk Bar pros make this chocolate lover’s dream! Watch the video below and then bring me some chocolate cake, please.
Not only do we get to see how this German Chocolate cake is made, but we get to see the Momofuku master, Christina Tosi, make the dessert herself! Tosi is the owner and head chef at the Milk Bar and watching her at work is a foodie’s dream come true.
And the best part of all about this custom chocolate cake? It features the ooey-gooey filling featured in a Milk Bar favorite: their crack pie. The mixture is being made for the Jimbo cake, but you’re essentially getting two recipes in one, here! Doesn’t get better than that.
MOMOFUKU’S GERMAN CHOCOLATE JIMBO CAKE
– Light brown sugar
– Regular sugar
– Milk powder
– Corn powder
– Unsalted butter
– Heavy cream
– 2 Egg yolk
– Shredded coconut
– 3/4 cup roasted pecans
– Grape seed oil
– 3/4 cup feuilletine
– 1/4 cup milk
– Ovaltine powder
– Pre-baked chocolate cake
– Chocolate frosting
2. Once the dry ingredients have been fairly combined, stream in your heavy cream and your egg yolks.
3. Pour the batter into a baking tin and bake on a low heat for 8-10 minutes.
4. Once out of the oven, fold the shredded coconut into the crack filling.
5. Ground your pecans with any flavorless oil in a food processor. Season nut butter with light brown sugar and salt. Add something crispy like feuilletine, or corn flakes.
6. Combine milk and Ovaltine powder to make an easy chocolate silk layer.
7. Time to layer! The layering goes cake, chocolate malt silk, crack filling, pecan crunch, chocolate frosting. Repeat. Top off with shredded coconut for garnish.