We all know that we should be drinking more water. The only problem with that? We’re pretty sure that nobody craves plain water unless they’re lost in the desert. Water may be the stuff of life — but man, it’s boring. That’s why we’ve recently become obsessed with infusing our water with juicy fruit and refreshing herbs.
You know that guy who said that you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink? He didn’t try infusing that water. Because whether you’re detoxing from sugary drinks or just trying to make sure you get your daily dose of H₂O, these flavorful infusions will have you downing water.
Keeping a mason jar of energizing fruit infused water at your desk will help you stay hydrated at work. Plus, you can think of the fruit left at the bottom as a little prize — and a healthy way to satisfy afternoon snacking pangs.
Forget about buying expensive flavored water at the store. Making your own infused water at home is as easy as chop, pour, and sip (or gulp). And you don’t need to order one of those special infusing water bottles either; just use the one that’s already hiding in the back of your cupboard, or fill up a quart-sized mason jar.
The five fruit combos we dreamed up are as simple as cucumber and lemon, and as wild as pineapple with jalapeño. But our recipes are definitely not a science. We hope that these ideas will inspire you to create your own ultimate detox water flavor. Play around with:
- adding more fruit, or putting less in
- using fresh or frozen fruit
- switching up the fruit combos, or just dumping in a whole fruit salad
Fruit Infused Water
Makes 1 serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes to overnight
- water (the amount will depend on the size of your jar or water bottle)
- 1 quart mason jar or water bottle
Strawberry-Basil Infused Water:
- 1 cup strawberries, halved
- handful fresh basil leaves
Cucumber-Lemon Infused Water:
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- 1 lemon, sliced
Pineapple-Jalapeño Infused Water:
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced
Honeydew-Blackberry Infused Water:
- 1 cup honeydew melon chunks
- handful blackberries
Grapefruit-Mint Infused Water:
- ½ ruby red grapefruit
- handful fresh mint leaves
- Wash and cut your desired fruit.
- Place the fruit and herbs into your mason jar or water bottle, and add enough water to fill it up.
- Either drink immediately, or screw on the lid and refrigerate for a few hours, up to overnight.