It doesn’t get much more classic than a really good Chicken Pot Pie like Mom and Grandma used to make. It’s a dish that’s a meal all by itself: the perfectly-seasoned chicken; the mix of vegetables; the creamy sauce; and the crisp, tasty crust.
Mouth watering? Then take a look at our version of this classic, then read on for the full recipe so you can make it yourself.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds chicken, ½-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-½ tablespoons fresh thyme, picked
- 1-½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken, working in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Season with the kosher salt and pepper, and brown on all sides.TipHero
- Once browned, remove the chicken from the pan, let cool and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the diced onions, and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant.
- Season the onions and garlic with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with flour. Using a whisk, stir and cook the flour for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, bring to a simmer, and whisk until thickened.
- Stir in the heavy cream, and cook until thickened.
- Add the fresh thyme, frozen peas, carrots, and pearl onions.TipHero
- Add the chopped chicken, and cook until heated-through.TipHero
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the parsley and adjust seasoning, as needed.
- Pour the prepared pot pie filling into a 8-inch-by-2-inch round baking dish.
- Roll out the pie crust and cut 3 to 4 vents in the center of the crust. Place the dough on top of the pie filling.TipHero
- Tuck the edges of the crust under and crimp.Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash, and place the baking dish on a sheet pan.TipHero
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.TipHero
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Yum! This dish is just as filling, satisfying and delicious as we remember from all those Sunday night dinners at Grandma’s house. Absolutely classic, and pretty simple to make, too!
So what do you think of our version of Chicken Pot Pie? How does it compare to your family recipe? What would you add to or change about ours? Let us know if you give this recipe a try, and be sure to let us know how it turns out for you!
Recipe adapted from Food Network