It’s not quite Thanksgiving season yet, but I try to think of things for which I’m grateful every day of the year. Today, my thankful thoughts have turned to food, and you know what kitchen creations are making me give thanks right now? The ones that bring the flavors of different culinary cultures together, especially when those traditions are Tex-Mex and Italian! Like, say, in Chicken Fajita Pasta?
That’s right— today, we’re perfecting the combination of creamy, classic pasta and crispy, spicy chicken cooked with flavorful fajita veggies. It’s a dish that is just PACKED with taste in every bite, and that taste is one we just can’t get enough of enjoying. Oh, and did we mention— it’s a one-pot dish! It’s never been easier to combine BOTH of your favorite food types. So what are we all waiting for?! Let us show you how it’s made, then read on for the full recipe.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
CHICKEN FAJITA PASTA
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, store-bought or homemade
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically into strips
- 2 to 3 bell peppers (red and green), sliced into strips
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 – 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces tube pasta (penne, cavatelli, gemelli, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- In a large bowl, add the the chicken, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and the taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Heat a large pan – make sure the pan is one with a lid that fits well – over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoon of the olive oil, and then add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside.
- Add the onion, bell peppers and ½ teaspoon of kosher salt to the pan.TipHero
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies start to soften.TipHero
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, cream, diced tomatoes, and uncooked pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.TipHero
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 14 minutes, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. If needed, reduce the sauce to thicken with the lid removed.
- Taste and, if needed, adjust seasoning.
How good does this dish look?! The creamy, spicy pasta just seems like it should always be cooked this way, don’t you think? At first, the idea of combining fajitas and a creamy pasta sounds insane, but once you watch it all come together, you end up wondering why you haven’t tried it already!
But don’t just take our word for it— give it a try yourself! Let us know if you take this recipe for a spin, how it turns out for you, and what you do to it to make it your own!
Recipe adapted from Kevin & Amanda