No matter what we try, to us, breakfast just isn’t complete without some sort of delicious bread. While we’ll always be fans of the traditional side of toast, we’re also always on the look-out for recipes and tricks to make the start of the day more delicious, more fun, and even on-the-go! Perfect for all three? These Breakfast Bread Cones! They’re easier to make than you might think, and the perfect flaky way to enjoy scrambled eggs, fruits, pastry cream or even tuna salad. Watch how they’re made, then start picking out your perfect filling.
BREAKFAST BREAD CONES
- 1 pound (1 loaf’s worth) frozen white bread dough, thawed overnight in the fridge
- 1 egg, beaten
- Poppy, onion and/or sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Stack 2 sheets of paper together. Starting from a long edge, roll them up tightly to form a cone. Place the paper cone on the edge of the aluminum foil and again roll up into a cone shape. Tuck the ends of the aluminum foil inside so the cone won’t unravel. Repeat until you’ve made 8 cones.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 30 inch (80 centimeter) rope, dusting with flour if the dough starts to stick.
- Starting at the pointed end of the foil cones, wind the dough ropes around the cones so that the dough forms a cone. Pinch the end shut around the point of the cone.
- Place onto the lined cookie sheet. Let rise for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Brush the cones with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with the sesame, onion and/or poppy seeds.
- Bake for about 16 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the bread cones cool on wire racks. Fill with your favorite filling and enjoy!
- For the bread dough, we like using the Rhodes brand. If you prefer to use a homemade bread dough, try this recipe!
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking Adventure