How do we make apple crisp even more delicious and delightful? By making it inside an apple! Oh yes, that’s right, friends: today, we’re showing you how to make Apple Crisp Baked Apples.
This stuffed-apple twist on the classic dessert is the perfect treat for fall. You get the best of both worlds: beautifully baked apples full of that fresh-picked taste, and a filling full of maple and caramel flavor. When it’s all topped with an incredible crumble packed with a sugar-cinnamon-and-pecan crunch, the result is sure to be your new favorite dish. Just watch us make it, then read on for the full recipe to try it yourself.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
APPLE CRISP BAKED APPLES
Makes 6 baked apples
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 to 3½ hours
- 6 to 8 Gala apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped apple
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Zante currants
- ¼ cup apple juice or cider
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Rinse and remove the stems from 6 of the apples. Using a paring knife, slice the top ¼ inch off of the apples. Use a paring knife to cut around the cores of each of the 6 apples. Use a grapefruit spoon or teaspoon to remove the cores and seeds. Use the spoon to remove some of the flesh, creating a cavity for the filling. Leave the skin intact, and also leave about ½ inch of the apple intact at the bottom. Chop the removed flesh, and set aside for use in the filling.
- If using, peel and chop the extra apples for the filling.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the tablespoon of butter and allow to brown slightly.
- Add the chopped apples and salt. Sauté the apples for about 2 minutes.
- Add the currants, maple syrup, apple juice (or cider), and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Cook for a few more minutes, or until the apples are just tender and the liquid has thickened slightly.
- Remove the filling from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Make the crumble by placing the rolled oats, chopped pecans, ¼ cup butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using your hands or a fork, smash the butter into the mixture until it is well-combined.
- Fill the hollowed-out apples with the filling.TipHero
- Top the filled apples with the the crumble topping.TipHero
- Place the filled and topped apples on the lined baking sheet.TipHero
- Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check the color of the topping. If the topping is golden brown, cover loosely with foil so it does not continue to brown and eventually burn. Cook for an additional 15 to 30 minutes, or until the apples are tender.TipHero
- Serve warm and with ice cream, if desired.TipHero
- To obtain the 2 cups of chopped apples for the filling, you can use the apple you will remove when hollowing out the apples, minus the core, or you can cut up 1 to 2 peeled apples. You may find that the flesh you remove during the hollowing process is not sufficient for 2 cups, so you may need an extra apple or two. You can also set aside the removed flesh from the hollowing process for another purpose, and chop 1 to 2 peeled apples to obtain the 2 cups of chopped apples.
So what do you think? Will you be trying these Apple Crisp Baked Apples? Are there any changes you would include to make them your own? Let us know what you do and how they turn out!
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb