Baking soda is sort of a celebrity here on Tip Hero. It really is a frugal miracle substance that can help with nearly any project in and around the home. Coupon Sherpa has come out with yet another fabulous article about the many uses of baking soda. Let’s check out what they had to say about baking soda and car care:
- Cleaning Batteries: need to neutralize corrosion built up on battery terminals? Mix 3-parts baking soda to 1-part water to create a paste and use on battery terminals. After you reconnect the clamps to the terminals, wipe them with petroleum jelly to prevent future corrosion.
- Make Everything Sparkle: take a damp cloth or sponge and sprinkle it with dry baking soda. Then use this to touch up lights, mirrors, license plates, windshields and wiper blades. Rinse everything with water and dry with a soft cloth afterward.
- Chrome Bumpers and Trim: older cars that still have chrome on them might appreciate a good buffing to remove salt deposits and grime. Use dry baking soda on a damp cloth or sponge for tough spots. Then rinse with water and buff with a soft, dry cloth.
Upholstery: wipe down vinyl seats with a baking soda solution (4 tbsp baking soda dissolved in a quart of water).
For stubborn stains, use powder directly from the box on a damp sponge. For fabric upholstery, sprinkle powder on spots and stains while the spill is fresh and brush it off after all the moisture is absorbed.
- Carpeting: rub some baking soda into car carpeting. Allow to dry, then brush off or vacuum off. Baking soda will also help to absorb pet, baby and smoke odors.
- Floor Mats: use a baking soda solution to clean car mats. For extra tough spots, try sprinkling soda onto a soft bristled brush and scrub, rinse and dry.
- Ashtrays: for those who still utilize ash trays in their cars, eliminate odors by pouring a 1/2 inch of baking soda into tray. Let that sit for several minutes and then rinse and dry.
To read up about dozens more amazing things you can accomplish with the help of baking soda, head over to Coupon Sherpa’s 55 All-Natural Uses For Baking Soda.