We put our hair through a lot of nonsense. Between treatments and heated tools and bleaching and even regular hair products, our hair can pretty easily become damaged. And once your hair is damaged, it’s a difficult thing to reverse. Damaged hair can make something simple, like growing your hair out, almost impossible to do. If you’re looking to get your hair healthy again, or if you’re interesting in growing your locks in the healthiest way possible, you need to nourish your hair with some extra TLC. We have exactly what your damaged hair needs in this simple, DIY hair mask! This beauty product can be made with three simple ingredients right at home and it will do wonders for your weakened strands.
Trust us, your hair will thank you for whipping up this simple mask. It’s like a breath of your fresh air for your hair!
All three of the oils used in this hair mask have been chosen for this recipe for specific reasons; each one brings some special that your hair desperately needs. So don’t skimp on one ingredient! There’s only three and all three are crucial, so make sure you have the correct amounts of all three oils to really make a knockout hair mask.
- 7 tbsp. almond oil
- 125 ml. castor oil
- 5 tbsp. sesame oil
- First, to create your hair mask, measure out all the oils and combine them into a container. Stir to combine.
- To use, apply the oil mask to the roots of your hair. Use a comb to pick through your hair so you can apply the mixture in sections.
- Give yourself a three minute head massage to get the blood flowing in your scalp and encourage hair growth.
- Brush the oils all the way through your hair, starting at the scalp and brushing all the way down to your ends.
- If needed, apply the oil mask all over your hair, especially on damaged ends.
- Put your hair in a bun and cover it with a hair net of some kind. Let your hair sit like this for 2-5 hours.
- After the 2-5 hours, shampoo and condition your hair thoroughly to get the oil mask out.
Almond oil contains Omega-9, Omega-6, and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for hair growth. This oil also has Vitamin E, which helps get rid of inflammation on the scalp, prevents hair from breaking, and also makes hair look and feel soft and shiny.
Castor oil is great for preventing hair loss. This oil helps to grow strong strands and is well-known for producing thicker hair. Castor oil also gets rid of infections on the scalp because its anti-fugal and antibacterial properties and nixes split ends for good.
Finally, sesame seed oil increases blood flow in the scalp which increases hair growth and soothes the scalp. And as we all know, a healthy scalp means a health head of hair!
Be advised that this beauty blogger needed to shampoo TWICE to get all the oils and smells out of her hair. Wash your hair as much as needed to get rid of excess oils; while this mask is very healthy for your hair, some hair types will not benefits from extended saturation past the 2-5 hour mark.
Conversely, if you have very dry hair (maybe naturally curly hair, even, I know my curls always need moisture), don’t be afraid to leave these oils on as long as you want. You will need to shampoo them out eventually, of course, but if your hair needs a nice long “drink” don’t be afraid to disperse the mask all over your hair and let it sit.
What do you think of this DIY hair mask? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.