January means cold weather and New Years Resolutions. To me this equation equals slow cooker season. I can easy toss dinner into the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a hot meal that is full on flavor, light on fat. Plus there are less dishes to clean! You can’t beat that really. Now chili is a personal topic. I like mine hearty and smokey, less bright tomato acidity more heavy chipotle and seasonings, but if you have a preferred seasonings blend by all means use it!The Biggest Loser and IFoodReal.
2 pounds ground turkey, lean
3 bell peppers, chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15oz) can kidney beans
1 (15oz) can cannellini beans
4 tablespoons chipotle salsa
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups water
2 tablespoons chili powder
pinch chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt
Sour cream and parsley or green onions for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet on medium high heat brown the turkey. Move it over to your slow cooker basin.
- Cook the bell peppers and onions for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring non stop. Add this to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Serve topped with sour cream and parsley.
- Any leftovers can be frozen in bags for future use.