Chicken and pasta are quick, easy staples for hectic weekday nights, but it’s also easy to fall into a rut with these dependable stand-bys. Climb out of that rut with this recipe from Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Meals. It brings a little extra flavor – but no extra time! – to our old favorites.
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
– Salt and pepper
– 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
– 4 cloves garlic, chopped
– 2 shallots, chopped
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup white wine
– 1 lemon, juiced
– 1 cup chicken broth or stock
– 3 tablespoons capers, drained
– 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
– 1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
– Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish
- Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Return the skillet to the heat and reduce the heat to medium. Add another tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and the shallots to the skillet. Saute the garlic and shallots for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in wine and reduce liquid for 1 minute.
- Whisk lemon juice and broth into the sauce. Stir in capers and parsley.
- When the liquid comes to a bubble, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.