Are you craving an adorable and delicious dessert? Looking forward to your Thanksgiving dinner planning and want to find a treat that’s easy to adjust for a crowd? Been tasked to bring pie to a potluck and looking for a simple way to do it? Look no further, because we’ve got the perfect and cute solution for you: Mason Jar Mini Pies!
We’ve long loved baking with mason jars – and we’ve even tried our hands at using them to make pies before! – but this recipe is definitely our current favorite. Not only is it easy and the absolute perfect way to please your friends with their own individual desserts, the finished pies are beautiful, tasty, and most of all— pretty easy! Let us demonstrate, then read on for the full step-by-step instructions.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
MASON JAR PIES
Makes 4 pies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 half pint wide mouth mason jars
- 2 pre-made pie crusts (or your favorite homemade crust)
- 2 cans pie filling, cherry and blueberry (or your favorite flavors and/or homemade fruit fillings)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius). Unroll and cut one pie crust into quarters.
- Press one quarter of dough into each mason jar to form a bottom crust, smoothing the dough to remove any lumps.
- Fill each crust and jar ¾ of the way with pie filling.
- Unroll the second sheet of pie dough to make the decorative top crusts. Using the mason jar ring as a cutter, cut out 2 round circles. With a mini star cutter, cut out 3 tiny stars out with a mini star cutter.
- Gently place the crusts on top of two of the mason jar pies. Press the edges of the crusts together with the tines of a fork and place the stars overlapping the cut outs.
- To make a lattice topping, cut the remaining dough into strips, making half of the strips thin and half of the strips thick. Alternating between thick and thin, weave the dough together. Use the mason jar ring to cut the lattice tops out of the dough. Carefully, press the edges of the dough together with the tines of a fork.
- Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and sprinkle generously with coarse sugar.
- Place the mason jar pies on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Adorable and delightful! These miniature pies are easy to transport, perfect for portion control, and eating them doesn’t mean any more dishes to do— because you eat them straight out of the jar. Plus, you can use either homemade or store-bought ingredients, in any and all combinations for whatever convenience and taste you want and need. It doesn’t get any better than that, now does it?
Now you tell us what YOU think! Will you bring these Mason Jar Mini Pies to your next autumnal or Thanksgiving potluck? Have you ever baked in mason jars before? What fillings do you think you’ll try? Tell us if you make these mini pies and be sure to let us know how they turn out for you! Also try our adorable Mini Pumpkin Pies to give as gifts or for personalized pies at your next family dinner.
Recipe adapted from Thoughtful Women