Mashed Potato Cheese Bites
Mashed potatoes are one of those dishes that everybody likes. So doesn’t that mean there should be TONS of ways to adapt them into fun and tasty treats?! We think so, and we’re starting with these little bites that are fried to perfection. Even better? They have a gooey cheese center that takes them from delicious to WOW. Check them out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
MASHED POTATO CHEESE BITES
– 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
– ¼ cup minced chives or green onions
– 16 cubes quick-melt cheese
– 2 beaten eggs
– ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup panko bread crumbs
– Vegetable oil, for frying
- Stir the chives and potatoes together. Add salt and pepper, to taste, if your mashed potatoes aren’t already seasoned.
- Scoop out a golf-ball-sized portion of mashed potatoes, and press one cube of cheese into the middle. Close the mashed potatoes around the cheese and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese.
- Roll one of the mashed potato balls in the flour, then the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs until it is completely coated. Repeat with all of the potato balls.
- Place the coated potato balls in the freezer for an hour until firm.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a medium saucepan to reach a depth of two inches. Heat over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Remove the potato balls from the freezer and carefully lower several at a time into the hot oil. Fry the potato balls until golden brown, for about four minutes.
- Serve with gravy for dipping, if desired.
- During frying, you may need to adjust your burner temperature higher to maintain the oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees CelsiusC).
Recipe adapted from Yummy.ph