Here’s a Hearty Cabbage Casserole You Make in Your Crock-Pot
Looking for something new and different for dinner? Try golumpkis! What are golumpkis, you ask? They’re a traditional Polish cabbage roll, with cabbage leaves wrapped around a filling of meat, onions, and rice or barley. Usually, they’re made in a casserole dish, but why would we do that when can make them in our slow cooker?! This version is less of a cabbage roll and more of a casserole, but the strong flavors still shine through. Watch how it’s made and give it a try!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
LAZY CROCK-POT GOLUMPKIS
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
– 1½ pounds ground pork or beef (or a combo of the two)
– 1 onion, diced small
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
– 1½ teaspoons black pepper
– ¼ cup parsley
– ¾ cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
– 1 egg
– 1 head cabbage, cored, quartered and chopped
– 1 – 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
– 1 – 15-ounce can tomato sauce
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
– Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, onion, 1½ teaspoons of the salt, pepper, paprika, parsley and rinsed rice. Use your hands to mix until well-combined.
- In a blender, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of the salt, brown sugar, garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Pour 1 cup of the blended sauce into the slow cooker. Lay a third of the chopped cabbage in a thin layer on top of the sauce. Evenly spread out half of the meat mixture, top with another third of the cabbage and half the remaining tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat and layer the remaining meat, cabbage and sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Serve garnished with chives and sour cream, if desired.
Different and delicious! Do you think you’ll give this dish a try? Have you ever had golumpkis before?