Try This Twist on a Grilled Cheese When You’re Packing School Lunch
The grilled cheese is a universally beloved sandwich, and for good reason. If two buttered and grilled pieces of bread sandwiching layers of gooey cheese isn’t decadent, then we don’t know what is. Luckily, this sandwich isn’t just grown-up approved, it’s also generally loved by kids, too! And if you have picky kids, you know what a big deal this is. The only downside is that grilled cheese isn’t the easiest thing to pack for the kids’ lunch – at least in its traditional form.
If your kids are grilled cheese-crazy and you’re looking for an easy, fun way to incorporate their favorite sandwich into their school lunches, do we have the perfect recipe for you! This twist on the classic grilled cheese is super easy – and it even comes with a quick, 10-minute tomato soup recipe, too.
Because what would grilled cheese be without tomato soup?
The trick to this lunch-friendly recipe? Turning a grilled cheese into grilled cheese STICKS. Everything is better in dipping-form, is it not? At least grilled cheese most certainly is.
These grilled cheese sticks can be easily stored in a regular sandwich container and its tomato soup counterpart is best stored in a thermos for the kids to bring to school. A quick thermos tip? To get the container ready to hold hot soup (and keep said soup warm) fill the thermos with boiling water 10 minutes before you’re going to pack lunch for your kids.
Then, naturally, you have to dip your grilled cheese sticks into the tomato soup! It would be a little blasphemous if you didn’t, honestly.
In total, this lunch should take about 20 minutes to make and requires only healthy, simple-to-find ingredients only! This is way too simple of a recipe for such a delicious and cool twist on your classic grilled cheese and soup.
What you’ll need to do to make this fun, unique school lunch is listed below! What do you think of this re-invented grilled cheese? Share your thoughts on this two-for-one recipe in the comments section below.
Grilled Cheese Sticks
- Start by compiling your regular grilled cheese; putting a few pieces of cheese between two pieces of bread. Butter one side of the bread.
- In a greased skillet, put your grilled cheese down on the already buttered side. Don’t flip until the cheese inside is thoroughly melted. Make sure to butter the other side before flipping.
- Take your finished grilled cheese off the skillet and let it cool.
- Once cool, slice your sandwich into strips or sticks. You can store these sticks in a sandwich container like normal.
10-Minute Tomato Soup
- Put all your ingredients in a blender and mix until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a pot over medium-high heat and let it come to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Store in a thermos – a good trick is to fill the thermos with boiling water 10 minutes before you’re ready to pack lunch.