Back-to-School Snack Idea You Haven’t Tried Yet
It’s back-to-school time! While that means many different things for all of us, one that we all have in common is we’ll be packing snacks and lunches a whole lot more. Don’t you think it’s time to update our lunch bag rotation? The Domestic Geek did, and she’s here to show us FOUR ways to make an unexpected school-friendly snack that is vegan, nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and still delicious! What is it? It’s the chickpea! Watch and see how she turns this humble legume into a must-have.
– One 19 ounce can chickpeas
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– Sea salt, to taste
– 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 teaspoons garam masala
Brown Sugar and Rosemary
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Dry them thoroughly with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, toss the chickpeas with the olive oil and sea salt. If you’re making the plain sea salt variety, move on to the next step. If you’re making the Smokey Roasted, Masala or Brown Sugar and Rosemary varieties, include their respective spices with the olive oil and sea salt when you toss.
- Pour the chickpeas onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Toss the chickpeas well and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until they are crispy throughout. Make sure to keep a close eye on toward the end of the baking time, since they could burn!
- Allow chickpeas to cool completely and store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Delish! Which variety are you going to choose? Do you enjoy chickpeas as a snack?