Best Chicken Noodle Casserole
Chicken noodle soup is a magic food, and transforming the classic dish into a casserole only amplifies its comforting effects. This 30-minute chicken dinner has all the elements of traditional chicken soup: hearty egg noodles, tender chicken, peas ‘n’ carrots — but with a creamy sauce and crunchy topping that’ll make you want seconds.
Chicken casseroles are the epitome of a quick and easy meal. You gotta love that on busy weeknights all you have to do is grab some sour cream and leftover roast chicken from the fridge, egg noodles and a can of cream of chicken soup from the pantry, and a bag of peas and carrots from the freezer. Then just “dump and bake” until the casserole is beautifully golden and bubbly.
Then there’s that crispy topping. It’s optional if you prefer your casserole creamy through-and-through, but trust us — everyone’s going to want a piece of that crackly crunch. It’s not complicated — just breadcrumbs, melted butter, and seasoning — but that toasted layer makes this casserole even more satisfying.
Our chicken noodle bake is perfectly simple and nostalgic just the way it is, but there wouldn’t be anything wrong with dressing it up by adding broccoli, bacon, or even a layer of cheese. This is already on its way to becoming one of your family’s favorite chicken casserole recipes, isn’t it?
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Makes 4 – 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 ounces (about 2 cups) egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1½ cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas and carrots
- 1 (10 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk or water
Crunchy Topping (optional)
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- ½ teaspoon dried italian herbs or dried parsley
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Grease an 8-inch casserole dish.
- In the casserole dish, add the cooked egg noodles, cooked chicken, frozen peas and carrots, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and milk or water. Set aside.
- If you like your casserole with a crunchy topping, mix together the breadcrumbs, melted butter, dried herbs, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the top is bubbling and the breadcrumbs (if using) are toasted.
- This recipe can be easily doubled and baked in a 9-inch x 13-inch casserole dish.
We have plenty more chicken casserole gold where that came from: